Ending an addiction to drugs or alcohol isn’t easy, but high quality addiction treatment in southwest Florida can help. WhiteSands Treatment in Fort Myers is one of the best drug treatment centers in southwest Florida, offering a holistic approach to treatment and using research-based treatment therapies that help you end your addiction for the long-term.
Inpatient vs. Outpatient Drug Treatment Centers in Southwest Florida
The two main types of treatment programs are inpatient and outpatient programs. Choosing the program that’s right for you is essential for the best possible treatment outcomes.
Inpatient treatment involves living at a residential treatment center while receiving treatment. Inpatient treatment is crucial if you have:
- A long history of addiction.
- A severe addiction.
- A co-occurring mental illness.
- An unstable or unsafe place to live.
Inpatient treatment enables you to focus solely on recovery, and it offers a high level of around-the-clock peer and staff support.
Outpatient treatment involves living at home and visiting an outpatient treatment facility each day. Outpatient southwest Florida drug addiction treatment can be successful as long as you have:
- Strong intrinsic motivation to recover.
- A strong support system at home.
- A safe and stable place to live.
- Overall good physical and mental health despite the addiction.
Outpatient drug treatment centers in southwest Florida let you keep working, going to school, or caring for the family while you’re in treatment, and it costs less than inpatient treatment.
Medical Detox: The First Step in Treatment
If you’ve developed a dependence on your substance of abuse, you’ll experience withdrawal symptoms that can make it hard to get off drugs and alcohol. In this case, medical detox will be the first step in treatment. During medical detox, which is supervised my medical and mental health professionals, medications will be given as needed to reduce the severity of withdrawal and shorten the detox process.
Medical detox only ends the physical dependence on drugs or alcohol. It doesn’t treat the addiction, which is far more complex.
A Holistic Approach is Best
The best addiction treatment in southwest Florida is that which offers a holistic approach to addiction treatment that addresses issues of body, mind, and spirit for whole-person healing. The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration stresses that a holistic program offers the best outcomes. This type of approach involves both traditional and complementary therapies that help you:
- Develop the skills you need to cope with cravings and other triggers.
- Address the underlying issues that led to the addiction, which may include chronic stress, a history of trauma, or a co-occurring mental illness.
- Identify and replace harmful thought and behavior patterns.
- Find purpose and meaning in a life of sobriety.
- Learn to have fun and relax without drugs or alcohol.
Traditional therapies commonly used in holistic programs include:
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy to help you address issues and re-learn healthy ways of thinking and behaving.
- Psychoeducational classes to help you understand addiction and how it relapses.
- Family therapy to help repair relationships and restore function to the household.
Complementary therapies commonly used include:
- Biofeedback to help you learn to reduce your stress on the spot with deep breathing and visualization exercises.
- Massage therapy or acupuncture to help you reduce stress and relieve cravings.
- Nutritional therapy to help you improve your physical and mental health through healthy food choices.
For most people who engage with their treatment plan, southwest Florida drug addiction treatment works. It can help you restore your life, repair your relationships, and identify what you want out of your future–and set goals to get you there. Holistic drug treatment centers in southwest Florida can help you end your addiction for the long-term and dramatically improve your overall quality of life in the process.
If you or a loved one needs help with abuse and/or treatment, please call the WhiteSands Treatment at (877) 855-3470. Our addiction specialists can assess your recovery needs and help you get the addiction treatment that provides the best chance for your long-term recovery.
About the Author
Mark is a proud alumni member of WhiteSands Treatment. After living a life of chaos, destruction and constant let downs, Mark was able to make a complete turnaround that sparked a new way of life. He is serious about his recovery along with helping others. At WhiteSands Treatment, we offer support to you in your homes or when you are out living in your daily lives.